Marriage & Family Therapist / Counsellor
Gerald has extensive experience in mental health service and couple and family therapy for all age groups. He first qualified as a registered psychiatric nurse in Hong Kong in 1981 and became a couple and family therapist in 1998. He was a part-time member of NSW Mental Health Review Tribunal from 1996 to 2016. He also held leadership positions in clinical, management and education areas in public mental health services and education institutions before he was called to help establish First Light Care.
Supported by his dual professional backgrounds in mental health nursing and family therapy, Gerald is passionate about helping people to improve their health and well-being holistically – physical, psychological, relational and spiritual – so that they may live their lives to the fullest with joy. He works with people to deal with their issues from a systems perspective so that they have a more thorough and long-lasting solution to their problems.
Gerald is married to Pam. They have three sons who are all married with children. Whenever possible, they try to enjoy their big family gathering weekly.
Counselling individuals, couples and families on:
- Mental health & mental illness
- Marriage and family relationships
- Domestic violence – physical, emotional, social, sexual, financial
- Separation & divorce
- Stress & emotional issues – work/study/retirement/health-related
- Carer Stress
- Life Planning
- Personal Growth
- Personality assessment – Taylor Johnson Temperament Analysis (T-JTA)
- Pre-Marital/Marital Counselling (Special Package) – Prepare/Enrich Assessment
Education and Professional Affiliations
- Master of Couple & Family Therapy (UNSW)
- Bachelor of Health Science (Nursing)
- Diploma in Nursing (University of London)
- Registered Nurse (Psychiatric)
- Professional Member, Australian Association of Family Therapists
- Member, Australian Primary Health Care Nurses Association
- Former Part-time Member, NSW Mental Health Review Tribunal (1996-2016)