2021 晨光通訊九月 FLC Newsletter September
Stay Informed 保持聯絡
If you wish to receive our regular newsletter, please complete the Newsletter Subscription Form and return it to us. Please fill in our Newsletter Subscription Form
2021 September Newsletter Highlight
(Please see pdf for full details)
作為一位治療師的工作極具挑戰和極有意義，但卻往往令人傷透腦筋和引起焦慮。每天個案天天新款、變化莫測。人類是複雜和獨特的，儘管我能夠幫助人們作出改變，卻每每都充滿極度挑戰性。即使如此，我深愛這工作，對於案主每一生活事件我都極感興趣。我相信生命中每一個轉折都提供了獨特的成長契機，讓我們更接近上帝，從中找到意義、人生目標和基督的愛。學會在工作中肯定上帝的同在和聖靈的引導，因為我知道最終是祂治癒、拯救並在人內心動工。詩篇127:1 讓我們了解到「若不是耶和華建造房屋，建造的人就枉然勞力。 若不是耶和華看守城池，看守的人就枉然警醒。」
今天，我已正式成為註冊心理學家，投入服務。詩篇 65:11「 祢以恩典為年歲的冠冕，祢的路徑都滴下脂油。」我謹以這詩表達深深的讚嘆！
(Ellen Lam 譯 )
Sharing by Cherrie
My reflection on working at FLC
Reflecting on the past two years working at First Light Care (FLC), I am deeply grateful for the support I received working as a provisional psychologist. I am amazed by the whole team at FLC. The genuine concern and commitment to serve the community with Christian love is evident. I especially want to thank all my colleagues who have always been encouraging, available and helpful. With the pandemic’s impact, I’m so blessed that I always receive adequate support and guidance in providing psychological services at FLC. I thank God for His mercy and grace upon me to provide such a suitable place. I cannot imagine myself working elsewhere.
My reflection on being a therapist
Being a therapist is challenging and rewarding. It is nerve-wracking and anxiety-provoking because every encounter is new and unpredictable. No two days are alike. We human beings are truly complex and unique. Real change is highly challenging, although it is possible. Even so, I genuinely love my job and am intrigued by my clients’ every life event. I believe that each transition comes with unique opportunities for growth and drawing closer to God in which we find meaning, life purposes and the Agape love. In my therapeutic work, I learn to acknowledge God’s presence and welcome the guidance of the Holy Spirit in every encounter because I know ultimately it is He who heals, rescues and makes the psychological intervention work. In Psalm 127:1, we learn that “unless the Lord builds the house, its builders labour in vain. Unless the Lord watches over the city, the watchmen stand guard in vain.”
My story to becoming a therapist
I was born and raised in Hong Kong. When I was a teenager, I was sent to Sydney with one goal – to get a university degree. Influenced by my father’s entrepreneurial background, I went with the flow and studied commerce. Soon after I completed my Master’s degree and worked in the corporate world, I noticed a great sense of discrepancy between my educational background and my passion. However, I thought it was too late to change my career.
Nevertheless, it did not stop me pursuing my passion outside my work. As I navigated, I was inspired to study counselling as such need at church arose. As you can imagine, I was not planning to be a therapist professionally. Little did I know that God planted a seed in me. After completing my graduate diploma in counselling at a theological college, I began on a long-haul journey to study psychology. As crazy as it sounds, my husband, Nicholas, fully supported me in this decision, and he sacrificed a lot to allow me to chase this “unrealistic” dream. Throughout this journey, self-doubt, tiredness and stress were regular visitors. I was not short of struggles from a newlywed to a mother of two. In times of need, sometimes, God removed the barriers miraculously. More often, I felt He walked with me. Indeed, the process of this journey itself was worth celebrating because I constantly saw the hands of God. Thinking about His faithfulness can make me cry any time.
Fast forward to today, I received my full registration and now practice as a psychologist. I echoed the psalmist and declared that “you crown the year with a bountiful harvest; even the hard pathways overflow with abundance.” (Psalm 65:11).
Please specially pray for and support renovation expenses of our new counselling centre
We are thankful that First Light Care is purchasing a property in West Ryde close to the railway station, using the building fund set up with help from donors. We are thankful for God’s provision and the generosity of the donors that will help reduce our long term rental expense!
Please pray for the finances needed (about $100,000) for renovation of the new property that will become our permanent counselling centre from which our ministry will continue to serve the community in the years ahead.
We sincerely ask you to support and help our renovation expenses. You may use a credit card to make a tax-deductible donation by calling us on (02) 9211 9998.
You may also download and use the donation form on First Light Care‘s website (https://www.firstlightcare.org.au/supportus#donations) to arrange other payment methods. Thank you for your support!
1. We sincerely thank the donors for their timely donations in recent months. It helps this ministry greatly to meet its current financial needs despite a reduction in donation in the last financial year due to the coronavirus pandemic.
2. We are thankful for the government COVID-19 financial assistance that has helped us get through the last financial year. Without the assistance, we would have suffered a financial deficit. We ask you to continue to pray for regular financial support for the ministry this year.
3. We are thankful that Mrs Cherrie Liu has become a registered psychologist and that she takes up His calling and commits herself to serve with the ministry for long term. We are thankfully that our team is strengthened to serve our diverse community in the years to come.
4. Please pray for the team of experienced pastors who serve on the Pastors Renewal Ministry subcommittee as they plan and develop this important ministry to support the serving pastors in Australia. (Please browse: https://www.firstlightcare.org.au/pastors-renewal-ministry)
5. Please pray for and support those people and their families who have been greatly affected by the coronavirus pandemic physically, mentally and financially.
4. 請為教牧更新事工小組委員會中經驗豐富的牧師團隊禱告，他們正在計劃和發展這個重要的事工，以支持澳大利亞的在職服事的牧者們。(請瀏覽: https://www.firstlightcare.org.au/pastors-renewal-ministry)
Cantonese Seminars 粵語研討會
2. 面對大流行的不確定性時期: 如何照顧你的精神健康 How to Take Care of Your Mental Health in the Face of Uncertainty During the Pandemic
3. 你可以 Say No
5. 認識和面對焦慮 Understand and Face Anxiety
English Seminars 英語研討會
2. Becoming an Emotionally Intelligent Parent (for parents and carers of children 0 - 5 years)
Mandarin Seminars 国语研討會