晨光通訊 FLC Newsletter June 2018
June Newsletter Highlight
(Please see pdf for full details)
會長分享 President’s Sharing
Ending one’s life is something a person should never have to contemplate, let alone a Year-6 kid. Sadly, it happened to me. My parents began telling me in kindergarten that I would do well at school and grow up to be a medical doctor, just like my big brother, an all-round high achiever. I soon learnt that whatever I did was never good enough. Anything but top in my class was considered a failure. Parental expectation literally robbed me of a happy childhood.
The grim looks on my childhood photos tell of a youngster full of discontent and hatred. The world mistreated me, and I hated it. Drowned and suffocated in these constant feelings of inadequacy, anger and being unloved, I craved freedom and I needed to escape from this cold reality. So I became rebellious at a young age. The street became my second home. I longed for a soul-mate but no one could really understand my inner struggles. Try as I may, nothing could really fulfill my deepest desires for love, inner peace and self-worth.
Life took on a new page when I moved to Sydney with my family. I was on track to becoming the Dux of a selective high school, when a fellow student who could have been accepted into any tertiary course except for medicine at the University of Sydney repeated Year 12. That year, he posed competition so close that fear began to set in. There was no guarantee that all my hard work would pay off. “Why did it happen to me?” I asked. It was supposed to be my chance to make my parents proud. So I prayed for the first time for what I thought should be a fair and just outcome, and promised God that I would go to church afterwards. But God had something else in mind. He would not allow his encounter with me to be an exchange. Instead, I was disillusioned despite getting the honour.
I realised then what Ecclesiastes says is true: “All things are wearisome, more than one can say.” The hole inside me grew bigger and darker. I needed to search for the meaning of life. So I began to go to church. After humbling myself, I accepted Christ as my Saviour and my Lord and I experienced from then on the unconditional love of God, the freedom that I get from Christ, and the daily fellowship of the Holy Spirit. I became a joyful person. The smiling faces on my photos can testify to my new life.
Little did I realise that the ghost of my past always finds a way to haunt me. Whenever and wherever I shared my childhood experience, tears would uncontrollably cover my face. Perhaps this is the scar or the thorn that I need to bear for the rest of my life, even my Christian life.
Then when I returned to Hong Kong and started practising as a solicitor and later having my own law firm, the stress and pressure of economic downturn and SARS all had their tolls on me. But the good Lord gave me brothers and sisters in Christ who prayed for me and lent their shoulders to me.
Later, when I responded to God’s calling for full-time ministry, I decided to return to Sydney so that I might also take care of my aging parents. Amazingly, upon my return, God healed me. I can now recount my childhood without tears.
What I have learnt is that God has His timing in healing our past wounds. Sometimes, He does it directly and mystically. But often times, He does it through the prayers, support, encouragement and testimonies of fellow believers.
God knows our inner being and He cares. And through the ministry of First Light Care (FLC), many old wounds are healed and broken relationships reconciled. So I urge you all, “admonish the idle, encourage the fainthearted, help the weak and be patient with them all.” (1 Thess. 5:14) May the good Lord continue to use FLC as a conduit to serve, to heal and to bless others in need! May God bless you!
Pastor Devin Yu
感恩及代禱 Thanksgiving & Prayer
- 感謝和讚美神，讓我們在四月八日和五百多位支持者,一同慶祝晨光二十年來給予澳洲華人社區的服務，為祂所成就的事而感恩。感謝余大峯會長真摯的個人經歷分享，鼓勵衆人繼續為這輔導事工齊心努力。感謝20年來所有參與晨光事工的晨光會員以及義工，願主紀念你們為主的付出和勞苦。特别感謝籌備二十周年晚會和公開聚會的許多義工，特别是Eliza 和Dennis，他們的辛勞使晚會和所有聚會得以順利舉行，令數以千計參加者得益良多。
- 請祈求神呼召合適的輔導同工, 教牧更生事工的同工和其他支援人員, 加入晨光服事。
- We thank and praise God for the chance to come together with over five hundred supporters on 8th April to celebrate twenty years of service to the Australian and Chinese communities and to give thanks for what He has accomplished through the ministry. We thank President Devin Yu for his sincere sharing of personal experience to encourage everyone to continue to work hard for this counselling ministry. Thanks to all the members, staff and volunteers who participated in the works of this ministry in the past 20 years. May the Lord remember your efforts and labour for Him. Our special thanks go to the many volunteers, especially Eliza and Dennis, who have worked so hard to organise the anniversary dinner and the public seminars and gospel meetings and make the event beneficial for thousands of people.
- We sincerely thank the special guest speaker Dr. Charles Yu and his team for coming over from Hong Kong for the 20th Anniversary Dinner to support our ministry. They also held eight public seminars and two gospel meetings in eight days to serve this city. We thank them for their hard work. May God continue to bless their work in Hong Kong and beyond!
- Please pray for new appropriate workers to be called to serve in the counseling service and the Pastors Renewal Ministry at First Light Care.
- Please pray for good health for the staff team so that they can continue to serve with strength.
經費需要代禱 Speical Prayer for Financial Need
若你願意在6月30日之前作出一個本財政年度可扣稅的捐款幫助我們，你可以使用信用卡通過電話捐款，請致電（02）92119988。你也可以在晨光網頁www.firstlightcare.org.au, 下載並使用捐款表格, 或安排其他付款方法支持我們。感谢您的支持！
Please Specially Pray that We Can Meet Our Need for Financial Support
Please pray that we can meet our need for funding. Through most of this financial year, regular donations have been declining. The donations raised at the Anniversary Dinner in April have only just helped to avoid a deficit for this current financial year to the end of April.
It is now expected that there will be a deficit in the current, and probably the next, financial year, and that funding will be in short supply.
If you would like to help us by making a tax-deductible donation for the current financial year before June 30, you may use a credit card to make a donation by phone. Please call (02) 9211-9988. You may also download and use the donation form on First Light Care‘s website (www.firstlightcare.org.au) to arrange other payment methods to support us. Thank you for your support!
1. 大學學習秘訣 Tips for University Study
- 如何有效地在大學學習How to Study Effectively in University
減少學習壓力的方法Ways to reduce stress from study
2. 正念-減壓-心靈安康 Mindfulness-Stress Reduction-Wellbeing
How to use Mindfulness to reduce stress and enhance well-being
3. 破境重圓 （I&II）Restore Broken Relationship （I&II）
How to help people restore their marriage after an extramarital affair
4. 活好退休旅程 Live A Good Retirement Journey
- 退休生活的挑戰 The challenge of retirement
如何活好退休旅程 How to live a good retirement journey